Аудирование (Скрипт 6, страница 82)
1. What books did Laura Reddington write trying to make a living? She tried romantic fiction.
2. What kind of story did she find one day? She found the story of a man who thought he’d found a new planet, then added a famous murder case in London and mixed two stories together to make a sort of a detective novel.
3. Why does Laura think about all the details before writing a book? When she worked out all the details she concentrates on the actual writing.
Текст (№4 CAN CHEATING BE STOPPED?, страница 10)
1. Read the article and say in 2-3 sentences what it is about. This text is about one of the most important problems at school and university – about cheating. The text tells us about the use of Internet to cheat and the reasons of students’ cheating.
2. Is cheating becoming a problem in the USA and Britain? Read aloud the extract which says about it. (1 абзац) More and more students at school and university are using the internet to cheat* in their coursework. In Britain, about 25 % of students copy material from the internet when they write their homework. In the USA there is a similar problem. One report showed that about 54 % of students copy from the internet when they prepare for the lessons.
3. How do students cheat using the internet? Students copy material from the internet without indicating that they are using someone else’s work.
4. Why do students cheat? Cheating helps students to avoid the hard work of writing an original work.
Аудирование (Скрипт 10, страница 84-85)
1. What is the speaker talking about? She is talking about her first day at school.
2. When did the speaker feel relieved? She was relieved to have a friend Emily, who was the student of another class.
3. Why did the speaker start crying? She couldn’t swim so she became very upset and started to cry.
Текст (№1 BOOKS IN NEVER-ENDING MOTION, страница 7)
1. Read the article and say in 2-3 sentences what it is about. The text is about one of the most progressive movements in the world of reading – book-crossing. Nowadays young people do not want to read. And this movement is the best way to encourage them to read and to make reading a fashionable hobby.
2. The author says what makes librarians unhappy. Find this extract and read it aloud. (1 абзац) Librarians are saddened by the fact that young people tend only to borrow reference books rather than reading fiction for pleasure. Perhaps it’s unfashionable to read these days. However, a new trend is developing, with literary lovers leaving their books in public places, to be picked up and ‘borrowed’ by others.
3. Who was the first to introduce book-crossing in our country? It was the Belarusian National Technical University. The director of its scientific library, Alexey Skalaban, passed an internship in Sweden and at the airport he saw a huge glass case of books, which he learnt were available for anyone to read. It was a great idea to keep such cases in Belarus.
4. Why is book-crossing becoming more and more popular in Belarus? Book—crossing is an easy way to encourage young people to read. That’s why it is gaining popularity.
Аудирование (Скрипт 16, страница 88)
1. What are the three main ingredients of the great British breakfast? The bacon, eggs and fried potatoes.
2. What is a new trend of fashion in London’s top restaurants? Now in London, there’re lots more people having business meetings in top restaurants and it’s getting very fashionable to have breakfast.
3. What are the key ingredients of a breakfast in a London café? The key ingredients are the smells and the sounds.
Текст (№ 5 FRIENDSHIP IN THE MODERN WORLD, страница 11)
1. Read the article and say in 2-3 sentences what it is about. This text is about friendship. It is hard to find true friendship. Aristotle said that there are three different categories of friends.
2. Read aloud the extract which says about the changes in the modern society. (1 абзац) People often say that our modern way of life, with its individualism and fast speed, has made the world a lonely place. So many of us live and work surrounded by people, but it is hard to find true friendship. The faces we see each day are like pictures in a gallery; the talk that we hear is just sound. Perhaps this is why the websites like ‘Facebook’, ‘Contacts’ are so popular these days. They allow people to communicate and even become close without meeting up. It seems that many people’s idea of friendship has changed nowadays. But what is friendship?
3. What do people think about people who have no friends? People think about people who have no friends that they are strange and we pity them.
4. What does Aristotle say about the three types of friendship? The first type is when people are friends because of some advantage that the friendship gives us. Such Friendship has a practical value. The second type is based on the idea of pleasure. Friends enjoy doing things together and they have a lot of interests in common. The third type the friendship is so close that it seems that one soul hard work of writing work.
Аудирование (Скрипт 17, страница 89)
1. How long has Brian lived on his boat? He has been down there now for about 12 years.
2. Why did he decide to leave London? Because the family had grown up and the wife had died.
3. What can he do with his boat that he couldn’t with a house? If he doesn’t like his neighbors, he can go to another place.
Текст (№6 ACCORDING TO LAWS OF HOSPITALITY, страница 12)
1. Read the article and say in 2-3 sentences what it is about. This text is about the development of tourist industry in Braslav region. New facilities are going to be very comfortable. A state programme is being developed to raise the attractiveness of the region to tourists.
2. The author tells us about sporting traditions that exist in Braslav. Find this extract and read it aloud. (4 абзац) The ancient Belarusian town has many interesting sporting traditions, including an international fishing contest, which has been gathering hundreds of fishermen from Belarus, Russia and Latvia for the past few years. Sports lovers and those who enjoy the outdoor life are sure to be delighted by the town’s new rowing channel, ski-roller track and ski slope, in addition to a sports complex with an ice rink.
3. What new things will tourists see in Braslav? The local cinema will be modernized, with new halls opened, an entertainment complex will be built, offering bell lards and bowling. A new shopping center with a café for children is planned; a lake-river museum with an aquarium is planned.
4. Why will it be interesting to visit this Belarusian town? Braslav district will become an international tourist destination.
Аудирование (Скрипт 22, страница 92)
1. How did the dolphins help a 10-year-old boy? After taking part in a dolphin interaction programme he has begun to use words to communicate.
2. How does swimming with dolphins help the children? Close contact with the dolphins works as a motivator.
3. Why are some people not very enthusiastic about dolphin therapy? Some people point out the harm done to the dolphins.
Текст (№ 11 UNKNOWN ARTHUR CONAN DOYLE, страница 17)
1. Read the article and say in 2-3 sentences what it is about. This text is about the great writer Arthur Conan Doyle. He was not only a writer, but he was a doctor. He was a very active man. He did many things in his life, but he will be remembered most as a writer, a creator of Sherlock Holmes.
2. Conan Doyle had many talents. Read aloud the extract which says about it. (1 абзац) Like the great detective Sherlock Holmes, Conan Doyle also had many wonderful talents. Many people do not know that he wrote many other kinds of books: science fiction, historical adventures, horror stories and stories of the supernatural. He also wrote factual books on history and politics. In everything he did, he showed his incredible creative energy.
3. How did his writing talent develop? When he worked as a doctor he used his free time by writing stories.
4. Which facts prove that Conan Doyle took an active part in social life? He was a great man of action. He tried to enter Parliament, he worked to improve the law system. He worked very hard to help people who had been wrongfully sent to prison.
Аудирование (Скрипт 24, страница 93-94)
1. Why did Arthur Conan Doyle stop writing stories about Sherlock Holmes? He just decided to kill Sherlock when writing the stories took up too much of his time.
2. What worried Mr. Horowitz before starting a book? He didn’t want to disappoint the fans and people who love books of Conan Doyle.
3. Why was writing the book about Sherlock Holmes easier than Mr. Horowitz thought? In fact, his whole life as a writer of crime fiction was inspired by Doyle and he finds the book not as scary as he thought it might be.
Текст (№12 HAND MADE CHOCOLATES, страница 18)
1. Read the article and say in 2-3 sentences what it is about. This text is about Jane Turner, who began her chocolate making business in a village near the seaside resort three years ago. It’s also about the development of her business and a range of difficulties connected with production of chocolates.
2. Why did Jane Turner start her business? Read aloud the extract which says about it. (2 абзац) «First of all, I was not happy in my job. Though it was a well-paid job, the work was very stressful and I had to work long hours. I just wanted to improve the quality of my life. I also wanted to live by the sea again. I knew that it would be difficult to find a good job in this area, so I decided to set up my own business.»
3. How did her chocolate business develop? She began with making cakes and she supplied hotels and restaurants with cakes. Then she began trying to make her own chocolates and clients ordered more. That is how the chocolate making grew.
4. What mistakes did she make? She sold her cakes and chocolate over the internet. It was expensive to get a professionally designed website set up. It was also very expensive to deliver them to faraway places.
Аудирование (Скрипт 26, страница 95)
1. What is Kerry’s typical day? She is not usually in bed before 2 a.m., so she gets up about 10 a.m. She goes to a gym or a jazz class. She gets to the theatre by 6.15 with her friends.
2. Why doesn’t Kerry follow a diet or go to the gym daily? She just watches what she’s eating.
3. What piece of advice does Kerry give to beginners? Be confident and keep practicing, because patience is rewarded.
Текст (№ 26 PABLO PICASSO, страница 32)
1. Read the article and say in 2-3 sentences what it is about. This text is about one of the greatest artist of the 20th century, Pablo Picasso. He experimented in many different styles and changed the world of art during his time. His career had some periods. Some facts of his life had a great influence on those periods.
2. The most famous painting of Picasso is Guernica. Read aloud the extract about it. (6 абзац) In 1936 Civil War broke out in Spain. During this period he painted his masterpiece Guernica. It shows the terrified people of the ancient Spanish town which was bombed during the Civil War. Picasso was shocked by this inhuman act and in his painting he shows people running in the streets and screaming with their mouths wide open. To display his sadness and anger he used only black and white as well as shades of grey.
3. Where did Picasso learn to paint? Picasso learned to paint from his father and then in Barcelona in art academy.
4. Picasso worked in different styles. Which styles are mentioned in the article? What are their typical characteristics? One of his styles was his Blue Period, then his Rose Period and cubism. In his Blue Period he painted in gray and blue tones, in his Rose Period he painted in rose, pink and brown, in the period which was called cubism he didn’t show nature as it really was.
Аудирование (Скрипт 29, страница 97)
1. What is Alex thinking about? He is thinking about what kinds of gifts he should bring back from England for his family.
2. Why does he want to bring soldiers as a gift for his parents? Because Royal Guard soldiers are not only very colourful, they represent English traditions too.
3. What is Alex buy for his brother? Alex will buy a DVD with a film in English.
Текст (№ 30 GOOD NEWS FOR CHOCOLATE LOVERS!, страница 36)
1. Read the article and say in 2-3 sentences what it is about. This text is about chocolate. Studies carried out in the United States show that chocolate is very useful for our health. But we should eat reasonable amounts of chocolate.
2. People eat a lot of chocolate. Read aloud the extract which says about it. (1 абзац) It would be difficult to find someone who does not like chocolate. In the United States, chocolate is bought more often than any other kind of sweet. In Britain, each person eats an average of 11 kg of chocolate per year. That is a lot of chocolate! In the US people eat about 200 chocolate bars per second as a matter of fact. People love chocolate so much that they often think it is a bad habit. But there is good news for all chocoholics: eating chocolate does less harm to you than you might think.
3. What health problems do people traditionally connect with eating chocolate? People often believe that chocolate causes a number of health problems including bad teeth, obesity and skin problems such as acne.
4. What facts prove that chocolate can be good for our health? Chocolate contains protein, vitamins and minerals. Scientists believe chocolate may reduce the risk of heart disease. Even the smell of chocolate can have a positive effect on our immune system.
Аудирование (Скрипт 31, страница 98)
1. According to the first speaker what is his favourite pastime? There is nothing better than riding on horseback on a hot sunny day with a little breeze in the country where the first speaker lives.
2. Why is the first speaker keen on crafts? All things he makes relax him, not to mention that he gets a bit of satisfaction from having made something useful.
3. What problem does the first speaker have because of his favourite pastime? The only problem is that he has put on a lot of weight, because he can’t help eating crisps and other snacks while watching.
Текст (№ 32 DO VERY CLEVER CHILDREN NEED HELP?, страница 38)
1. Read the article and say in 2-3 sentences what it is about. This text is about especially gifted children. They feel different to other children of their age. They have to study with people who are older than them. But they must be allowed to stay children.
2. Ruth Lawrence was a gifted child. Read aloud the extract which says about her. (2 абзац) Ruth Lawrence, from the UK, became famous at the age of 12, when she began her studies at Oxford University. She was the youngest student ever to attend a university in the UK. Before going to university, Ruth was taught at home by her father. While she was a student, her father was always by her side. He attended all her lectures with her. Ruth did very well at Oxford. She got a first class degree in mathematics. Now Ruth is a mathematics professor.
3. What kind of problems can wonderkids have? They can become lonely, lazy & behave badly because they are bored.
4. What should parents and teachers do for their gifted children? Parents have to help their children develop but they can’t push their child too hard. Parents & teachers should motivate them & allow them to be children.
Аудирование (Скрипт 32, страница 98-99)
1. How many runners are going to take part in the race? At the moment they have 150 applicants and it’s fully expected there will be 200.
2. Where would they like to organize the starting line? They organize the starting line at the Town Hall.
3. Why do they need to have first aid points? They should have another first aid point somewhere on the route in case the runners have problems.
Текст (№ 34 FAMILY HISTORY, страница 40)
1. Read the article and say in 2-3 sentences what it is about. This text is about the importance of researching our family’s past. We can learn a lot of interesting things about our family. In the future our children and their children may be very grateful to us.
2. Jean Sandwell made a shocking discovery. Read aloud the extract which says about it. (3 абзац) Some of the things that people discover about their families can be very surprising. When Jean Sandwell researched her family history she had a very big shock. She found out that she had been adopted as a baby. After she had accepted this situation, Jean tried to find her real parents. «I discovered that my mother emigrated to Australia in 1966,» says Jean. «In 1982 I went to Australia to meet her. It was a very emotional experience for both of us.»
3. Why do people start tracing their family histories? They want to know more about their ancestors.
4. What recommendations does the author give to discover your roots? We should interview all our members, make a basic family tree of our close family & step by step make it bigger. We should check everything what our relatives say.
Аудирование (Скрипт 35, страница 100-101)
1. Why do many people travel today according to the first speaker? Today many people travel not in order to learn, but ‘to have a good time’ and usually on their terms.
2. How does the second speaker describe people who never travel? The second speaker thinks people who never leave their countries are narrow-minded and ignorant.
3. What can a person gain travelling to other countries according to the third speaker? When you travel to other countries you can see, feel and touch other ways of living.
Текст (№ 44 SHAKESPEARE’S PORTRAIT?, страница 50)
1. Read the article and say in 2-3 sentences what it is about. This text is about the portrait of a man who can be the most famous author of English literature – William Shakespeare. After the series of investigation the owner of the portrait is 90 % sure it is of William Shakespeare.
2. The author gives some facts about Shakespeare’s life. Find this extract and read it aloud. (2 абзац) Shakespeare was born in the town of Stratford-upon-Avon in England in 1564. He left the town when he was about 20, leaving behind a wife and three children. After this period he worked as an actor and writer of plays in London. In 1594 he helped form a new theatre company and wrote plays for the next 20 years. After this he retired to Stratford-upon-Avon where he died in 1616. He is buried in a local church.
3. What facts prove that the painting can be a portrait of William Shakespeare? The Shakespeare expert and the owner of the newly-discovered painting dated and X-rayed his painting. They now believe it was painted in 1610, when Shakespeare was 46 years old — six years before he died. Mr Cobbe thinks he could prove the portrait was originally owned by the Earl of Southampton, who supported Shakespeare when he was writing his plays.
4. Why do some people doubt that this is a portrait of Shakespeare? Because there is no proof the Janssen portrait is actually a picture of Shakespeare.
Аудирование (Скрипт 36, страница 101)
1. What does the first speaker advise to do if you want to lose weight? The first speaker advised to throw away salt, gas or electric cooker, to get as many fruit and vegetables as you can and to drink as much water as possible.
2. What is the mistake many people make trying to lose weight? The mistake is if you lose weight very quickly, you will be a lot less likely to keep it off.
3. Why is it necessary to exercise according to the third speaker? You should burn more than you take in.
Текст (№ 45 SHOPPING IN LONDON, страница 51)
1. Read the article and say in 2-3 sentences what it is about. The text is about shopping in London. The text says that there are a number of shops and department stores with a wide range of goods to buy in them. Shopping for the residents or tourists can also be the chance to learn the history of the British capital.
2. The author describes some department stores that are popular with shoppers. Find this extract and read it aloud. (3 абзац) Some people like shopping in department stores, the most famous one in London is ‘Harrods’, but for me, it’s not modern enough and too expensive, the sort of place your parents shop. But just down the road is ‘Harvey Nics‘, much more up-to-date, but not cheap. The best of all the big department stores is ‘Selfridges’ in Oxford Street, it’s a shopper’s paradise, nice clothes, and the prices. Well I can look, can’t I?
3. What does John like about shopping? Because some shops are busy, exciting, trendy, and there are lots of bargains! If all that shopping is too tiring, you can get some Chinese or Thai food, sit by the canal and have a drink.
4. Why is Greenwich interesting to visit? Because it’s a world heritage site. You can have a walk round the market and shops, and then take in a bit of London’s history. There’s also the park, the meridian line, and the old observatory there.
Аудирование (Скрипт 40, страница 103-104)
1. What does Sara want to become? She is going to be a star.
2. How did she find out about the audition? She saw an advertisement in a national newspaper.
3. Why was this performance special for Sarah? Because it was on TV and people all over the country watched her singing.
Текст (№ 46 UNIVERSITY CELEBRATES, страница 52)
1. Read the article and say in 2-3 sentences what it is about. This text is about one of the most famous and leading universities, which is located in Cambridge, near London. The text says about the foundation of the University and its development through centuries.
2. The author says how the university was founded. Find this extract and read it aloud. (3 абзац) The University was founded by scholars from another English university, Oxford. Nobody is exactly sure why they moved to Cambridge. One record shows it happened when two Oxford scholars were arrested and then convicted of murdering a local woman. Other students protested their arrest by leaving the university and going to other towns. It was a group of these scholars that set up a university in Cambridge.
3. What important discoveries were made at Cambridge? The jet engine was invented there. Scientists at Cambridge discovered the structure of human DNA.
4. Why is Cambridge University considered one of the best in the world? Because of high standards research and teaching the university is usually ranked among the top five universities in the world.
Аудирование (Скрипт 49, страница 109)
1. What sort of match did Tom play? It was a football match.
2. How did Tom’s team play during the match? They were very enthusiastic and tried to attack as often as possible.
3. What was the result of the game? The game ended in a draw.
Текст (№ 56 THE MOST DIFFICULT LANGUAGE?, страница 62)
1. Read the article and say in 2-3 sentences what it is about. This text is about difficulties in learning foreign language. The process of learning hardens when the language that is learned seems to be different with the native language. It says about the most difficult languages to learn.
2. The author explains why people find Chinese a very difficult language to learn. Find this extract and read it aloud. (3 абзац) Many people answer that Chinese is the hardest language to learn possibly influenced by the thought of learning the Chinese writing system. The pronunciation of Chinese appears to be very difficult for many foreign learners, too. However, for Japanese speakers, who already use Chinese characters in their own language, learning this language will be less difficult than for speakers of languages using the Roman alphabet.
3. What factors play an important role in learning a language? Each learner’s motivation for learning, as well as teachers and the circumstances in which the language is learned play an important role in learning a language.
4. Why do British diplomats find it difficult to learn Hungarian? Because this language has 35 grammatical cases.
Аудирование (Скрипт 52, страница 111)
1. Who did Tina go to the skating-rink with? She went with a friend who was very good at it.
2. What happened to her there? When she stepped on the weak place in the ice the ice broke and she fell in – she sank under the ice.
3. How was she saved? Fortunately, a man came to help her. He grabbed her arms and pulled her up out of the water onto the ice.
Текст (№ 59 MOBILE PHONES, страница 65)
1. Read the article and say in 2-3 sentences what it is about. The text is about mobile phones and their role in our everyday life. The text emphasizes the positive effect of using the phones to solve different problems much quicker than some decades ago.
2. The author explains why people need mobile phones nowadays. Find this extract and read it aloud. (1 абзац) From children to senior citizens, mobile phones have become a craze as a way of staying ahead with the technology. With our fast lifestyles, we have no time to meet our relatives or friends and are left with the only option of talking over the phone. Here comes the need of mobile phones, which allow us to stay connected wherever we are and whenever we need to.
3. What features can be found in modern mobile phones? If you want to store your precious moments, you can use its video recording feature. Mobile phones can become expressions of who we are by getting mobile ringtones, wallpapers, and games which turn your phone into a unique device.
4. Why are mobile phones a vital part of our life? It is hard to imagine life without mobiles. They are now inexpensive, easy to use, comfortable and equipped with almost every latest feature you desire. Today, a technologically advanced mobile phone can perform as many tasks as well as that of a personal computer.
Аудирование (Скрипт 54, страница 112)
1. What holiday did Ann want to have? She wanted to have an active holiday.
2. What problems did she have to face? In the evening she got to the place where she planned to spend the night but it turned out that there was not a single bed free. She had to sleep out on the beach. The second day started with heavy rain, so her things got very wet. On the third day she began to have problems with her shoes.
3. What decision did she make in the end? She decided to call her friend.
Текст (№ 62 HOW I GOT TO THE TOP, страница 68)
1. Read the article and say in 2-3 sentences what it is about. This text is about a girl who became the winner of the song contest ‘American Idol’. It also says about her difficult childhood and the period of getting education.
2. The author explains what made her write songs. Find this extract and read it aloud. (1 абзац) I was either ten or eleven when I wrote my first song. I don’t remember. My mum was struggling financially and emotionally, so I didn’t talk a lot. Finally, she told me if I couldn’t talk about what was bothering me, I should write about it. So she gave me a notebook, and my poems turned into lyrics.
3. Why were all the people nice to her during the show? She thinks they were so nice because no one thought she was going to win. Members of the crew came up to her after the finale and told her they didn’t think she could have won.
4. What did she talk to Girl Scouts in Nashville about? She told the girls that she wasn’t a role model for her weight.
Аудирование (Скрипт 56, страница 113-114)
1. What does Shima usually eat? She doesn’t usually have breakfast, just buys a coffee and drink it in office.
2. Where does she eat? She prefers eating health food so she goes to sushi restaurants or restaurants which serve organic, healthy food which is grown in local gardens.
3. What is happening to the Japanese diet at the moment? The diet in Japan today is much more westernized than before and that’s why some people are getting fatter.
Текст (№ 64 HALLOWEEN, страница 70)
1. Read the article and say in 2-3 sentences what it is about. This text is about the tradition of celebration Halloween in Europe and in the USA. It’s also about careful preparation of adults and children for the holiday and about the growing interest to the holiday all over the world.
2. The author describes how the ideas of celebrating Halloween came to the USA. Find this extract and read it aloud. (3 абзац) People from Scotland and Ireland brought these ideas with them when they came to America. Some believed that spirits played tricks on people on the last night of October. Historians say many of the Halloween traditions of today developed from those of ancient times. They say that wearing a mask to hide a person’s face is similar to the way ancient villagers covered their faces to make evil spirits go away.
3. What do adults and children do to get ready for Halloween? Adults and children put on costumes and attend Halloween parties. They also decorate their homes. They might clean out the insides of pumpkins and cut funny faces on the surface. Then, they place a burning candle inside. Some hang fake bats, spider webs and other things around the home.
4. Why do many people celebrate this holiday nowadays? It’s a very nice tradition — scientists say that wearing a mask to hide a person’s face is similar to the way ancient villagers covered their faces to make evil spirits go away. Moreover, it’s always funny.
Аудирование (Скрипт 68, страница 121)
1. What does the first speaker do at the weekend? He always does plenty of running and tennis or swimming.
2. What does the second speaker do at the weekend? He is very lazy, he just watches a bit of TV, a film on DVD, something like that.
3. What does the third speaker do at the weekend? He is studying so hard at the moment for his exams that he can’t go wild at the weekends.
Текст (№ 68 NEVER FORGOTTEN, страница 74)
1. Read the article and say in 2-3 sentences what it is about. This text is about the Museum of Great Patriotic War History, its foundation in July 1944 and about plans of the foundation of the new building of the museum on a hill in the centre of Minsk. The text emphasizes the role of heroism and patriotism of our nation during the Great Patriotic War.
2. The author explains when the museum was created and how it has changed over the years. Find this extract and read it aloud. (2 абзац) The decision to set up a museum dedicated to the fight against Nazi fascism was taken in 1942. It opened its doors in Minsk in July 1944. Millions of people have visited it since and, with the passing years, the need for a new, more spacious and well-equipped building has become clear. Each year, over 150,000 people visit the museum. Of course, they hope to find objective information and leave with a lasting impression.
3. What will the visitors be able to see in the new museum? They will be able to see a number of technical innovations, such as dynamically lit electronic maps, electronic catalogues, interactive facilities which will help visitors to receive brighter impressions.
4. Why are people interested in the Museum of Great Patriotic War History? Because our nation showed heroism and patriotism during many wars including the Great Patriotic War and this can never be forgotten.