1. An unusual circus will open in … .
A) England B) Scotland C) Wales
2. There are … performing mice in the circus.
A) eight B) twenty seven C) seventeen
3. The performance lasts … .
A) fifteen minutes B) thirty minutes C) an hour
4. … people can watch the show at a time.
A) Eight B) Seven C) Twenty seven
5. The mice won’t perform if they are … .
A) hungry B) angry C) frightened
6. The National Centre for Languages is worried because young people don’t study … .
A) at school B) at university C) foreign languages
7. Last year … percent of secondary school students took a foreign language.
A) forty four B) seventy one C) four point five
8. In 1997 … pupils took a foreign language than last year.
A) fewer B) less C) more
9. The number of UK students taking modern languages has … since 2002.
A) decreased B) increased C) not changed
10. The National Centre for Languages wants young people to … .
A) study English B) travel more C) speak foreign languages
II.Прочитайте текст и выполните задания.
Swimming the English Channel has a long history. The first who successfully swam the Channel was Captain Webb, an Englishman. This was in August 1875. He landed in France 21 hours 45 minutes after entering the water at Dover. He was followed by other men and so swimming the English Channel began. Swimming the Channel is not easy. Though the Channel is 21 miles, swimmers usually have to swim 30 to 35 miles because of tides. The sea is usually cold. They are given food during the swim by men who go with them in small boats. The Channel swimmer loses about 7 kg of his weight during the swimming. But the enthusiasts are not stopped by the difficulties. Their purpose is not only to cross the Channel but to set a new record. And some of them are very successful. Not only men but women also set Channel records. Until 1977 the nonstop two-way crossing was made by only 4 people, all of them men. In 1977 a 19 year-old student, Cindy Nicholas, became the first woman who made the two-way trip. She swam from Dover to the French coast in 8 hours 58 minutes and swam back in 10 hours 56 minutes. The previous record was 30 hours.
1. Выберите наиболее удачный заголовок для прочитанного рассказа.
A. Swimming Records
B. Swimming the English Channel
C. Famous Swimmers
D. Unusual Trip across the Channel
2. Закончите предложения в соответствии с содержанием текста.
English people know Captain Webb because…
A. He was a war hero
B. He was a Famous sportsman
C. He was the first to swim the Channel successfully
D. He was brave and talented
3. Объясните причину, выбрав правильный вариант.
Why do people decide to swim the Channel?
A. They like to swim
B. They are not afraid of difficulties
C. They want to became famous
D. They try to set a new record
III. Выберите правильный вариант ответа.
1. If he lived in the country he_______happier.
a). was b) is c) will be d) would be
2. It is washed by the waters of … .
a) an Atlantic Ocean b) Atlantic Ocean c) the Atlantic Ocean d) the Ocean by Atlantic
3. All news … fast.
a) travels b) travel c) are travelling d) is travelling
4.They became successful … .
a) businessmen b) businessmans c)businessmеns d)businessmen’s
5. This is … room.
a) Jane and Mary’s b) Jane’s and Mary’s c) Jane’s and Mary d) Jane and Mary
6.The sea is … unknown part of our world.
a) the most large b) the largest c) the most largest d) largest
7.That was … case in his practice.
a) the least difficult b) the less difficult c) the less difficulter d)the least difficulter
8.The city of Montreal … 70 square miles.
a) covering b) covers c) is covered d) cover
9. He … everything except his last paper.
a) did b) have done c) has done d) does
10.Let’s go to the snack bar. — What … we … for lunch?
a) are, going to have b) are, having c) will, have d) do, have
11. There are … parties that have nice music and pretty decorations.
a) a few b) few c) little d) a little
12. Does this car use … petrol?
a) much b) many c) a few d) some
13. There was no national election last month, … ?
a) was there b) was it c) is there d) wasn’t there
14. Who … America?
a) did discover b) does discover c) discovered d) discovers
15. We’ll go to Rome … bus.
a) by b) on c) in d) to
16. Please, … be late for classes!
a) not b) don’t c) no d) not to
17. The students … in two weeks.
a) will be tested b) are tested c) were tested d) will test
18. … you like a cup of coffee?
a) Should b) Would c) Could d) Can
19.Give the books … .
a) to him b) him c) to he d) to his
20. Do you ___ clean the house every day or every week?
a)must b)have c)have to d)had to
IV. Напишите письмо другу.
You have received a letter from your English-speaking pen-friend Mary who writes
… It was great to hear that you went to the USA during your spring holidays. I have always wanted to visit this wonderful country. Did you enjoy your journey? What places of interest did you visit? What impressed you most of all? Did you like your hotel?
As for me, I am awfully tired because we’ve got too many tests at school. Can’t wait for the summer break…
Write a letter to Mary. In your letter
• tell her about your journey to America. • ask 3 questions about her plans for the summer